Nebraska State Genealogical Society Logo
The Nebraska State Genealogical Society welcomes you.
Native American Enroute to the New Land Covered Wagon
Native American:  Enroute to the New Land: Pioneers traveling and see Chimney Rock  Covered Wagon:

Fillmore County

County seat is Geneva
 
Churches 
Courthouse
Cemeteries
FILLMORE COUNTY PLACE NAMES
 
 
Fillmore County, named for President Millard Fillmore, was organized in 1871.  Early day post offices were often located in homes on the prairie.  The surrounding area became known by the name of the post office.  Most of those early communities never developed beyond a single building, a combination post office, small store and residence. 
 
Ada                 Possibly an early community in Fillmore County. 
 
Alpine             Post office established December 1874, discontinued March 1881. 
 
Belle Prairie     Post office established December 1871, name changed to Strang in April 1886.  Located in Belle Prairie Township.  Also a township located in south-central Fillmore County bordering Thayer County. 
 
Bennett           A township located in west-central Fillmore County bordering on Clay County.  There are no villages in this township. 
 
Bixby              A community on the Burlington railroad between Lushton and Sutton.  First called Palmer, name changed to Lyman in 1886 and to Bixby in the 1920s.  Nothing remains today. 
 
Bryant             Post office established in March 1874, name changed to Momence in June 1874.  Located in Bryant Township.  Also a township located in southwest Fillmore County bordering on Clay and Thayer counties. 
 
Burress            Peak population (1900) 25.  Post office established November 1887, discontinued in December 1901.  Named for J. Q. Burress homesteader of land located in Section 13, Madison Township.    
 
Buxton               Also known as Sawyer.  Former station on the CB&Q railroad, located in Section 10, Madison Township.  Nothing remains today.   
 
Carlisle            Peak population (1910).  Post office established November 1891, discontinued October 1920.  It was located at the corner of Sections 33 and 34 in Bryant Township on the Thayer County line.  Nothing remains today. 
 
Chelsey           A township located in south-central Fillmore County. 
 
Dudley                  Post office established December 1880, discontinued December 1892.  First postmaster was Benjamin Morgan.  Located in Section 26, Chelsea Township. 
 
Eden                Post office established April 1872, discontinued April 1887.  First postmaster was Francis H. Beach.  Post office was located in the sod house of Henry Davis in Section 4, Stanton Township. 
 
Empire             Peak population (1870) 25.  Post office established April 1871, discontinued October 1874. 
 
Eva                  Post office established April 1873, discontinued April 1874.  Postmaster was John S. Beardsley.
 
Exeter              Peak population (1930) 941.  Post office name changed from Woodward in December 1871.  In 1878 two large grain elevators were built along the Burlington Railroad.  Newspapers September 1877 to 1997 are available on microfilm.   Also a township in northeast Fillmore County bordering on York and Saline counties. 
 
Fairmont          Peak population (1910) 921.  Post office name changed from Hesperia in January 1872.  First business building was moved from Fillmore City in 1871 by J. E. Porter.  A Methodist church was built in 1871, the first church building in Fillmore County. The Fairmont Creamery was established in 1884, moved to Omaha in 1904, and eventually, grew into Fairmont Foods.  Newspapers May 1872 to 1957 are available on microfilm.  Also a township in north-central Fillmore County bordering on York County. 
 
Fillmore City   Post office established January 1871, discontinued January 1879.  First town in Fillmore County, located in Section 1, Grafton Township.  In 1873 C. M. Northrup built a flour and grist mill which closed in 1917.  Town died because it was bypassed by the railroad. 
 
Franklin           A Township located in the southeast corner of Fillmore County bordering on Saline and Thayer Counties. 
 
Gazelle            Post office moved from Thayer County February 1879, discontinued January 1884.  It was located in the southern part of the county.
 
Geneva            Peak population (1980) 2,400.  Post office established in April 1871.  Selected the county seat in April 1871.  Newspapers November 1882 to 1998 are available on microfilm.  An Army Air Force base was located here during World War II. 
 
Glengary         Post office established September 1870, discontinued December 1884.  First postmaster was Duncan McLeod.  Located in Section 22, Glengary township.  Also a township in east-central Fillmore County bordering on Saline County. 
 
Grafton           Peak population (1910) 353.  Post office name changed from Prairo October 1872.  In 1875 a Burlington railroad depot and a grain elevator were built. Newspapers June 1882 to October 1892 are available on microfilm.   Also a township in northwest Fillmore County, bordering on York and Clay Counties. 
 
Hamilton         A township in south-central Fillmore County bordering on Thayer County.  There are no villages in this township. 
 
Henry              Town was platted in 1872 for the first county seat.  Name changed to Geneva. 
 
Hesperia          Post office established in April 1871, name changed to Fairmont in January 1872. 
 
Liberty              A township in east-central Fillmore County, bordering on Saline County.  There are no villages in this township. 
 
Lisbon             Station and elevator siding on the CB&Q railroad. 
 
Lyman             Post office established December 1888, discontinued February 1892.  Former name of Bixby.  It was located between Sections 17 and 20 of Grafton Township.
 
Manleyville     Peak population (1870) 25.  Post office established January 1874, discontinued April 1875.  Town platted by A.J. Manley in Section 27, Geneva Township, but never built. 
 
Martland         Peak population (1940) 52.  Post office established in February 1889, discontinued in 1953.  Located in Section 29, Stanton Township.  Nothing remains at the townsite. 
 
Milligan           Peak population (1930) 422.  Post office established November 1887. Town was established by the Kansas City and Omaha Railroad.   Most settlers in the area were Bohemian.  Newspapers September 1897 to  1953 are available on microfilm. 
 
Momence        Post office name changed from Bryant in June 1874, discontinued in April 1887.  Located in Section 34, Momence Township.  Also a township located in east-central Fillmore County bordering on Clay County. 
 
Ohiowa           Peak population (1920) 433.  Post office established December 1870.  The 2010 census was 115.  Located in Section 8, Franklin Township.  Newspapers 1901-1912 and 1925-1934 are available on microfilm. 
 
Prairo               Post office established September 1871, name changed to Grafton in October 1872. 
 
Sawyer             Post office established in January 1888, discontinued April 1922.  Named for Simeon Sawyer, oldest settler in vicinity.  Located in Section 10, Madison Township, where the Chicago and Northwestern and the St. Joseph and Omaha railroads crossed. 
 
Shickley          Peak population (1910) 429.  Post office established in April 1886.  Located in Section 12, Bryant township.  Newspapers October 1895 to January 1925 are available on microfilm. 
 
Shrule              Post office established in November 1877, discontinued in November 1881.  First postmaster was Patrick McTygue.
 
Sioux Valley   Early community named for Sioux Indians.
 
Spearville        Post office established in November 1875, discontinued in October 1876. Named for Erastus Spear.   
 
Stanton            A township in  central Fillmore County.  The south part of Geneva is located in this township. 
 
Strang              Peak population (1890) 269.  Post office name changed from Belle Prairie in April 1886.  Town named for A. L. Strang who gave town a windmill.  Newspapers Sept 1892 to Oct 1903 are available on microfilm. 
 
Turkey Creek  Post office established March 1872, discontinued in February 1890.  Located in Section 11, Momence Township. 
 
Walnut Creek  Post office established in April 1872, discontinued in September 1878. 
 
Walters            Former station and elevator siding on the Chicago and Northwestern railroad.
 
West Blue       Post office established April 1871, discontinued September 1873.  Located in Section 2, West Blue Township.  Also a township in north-central Fillmore County bordering on York County.  There are no villages in this township. 
 
Woodward      Post office established in April 1871, name changed to Exeter in December 1871.  Warren Woodward, the first postmaster, had the office at his homestead.