Howard county was organized and the boundaries defined by an act approved March 1, 1871, and again organized by an act approved March 28, 1871. It was named in honor of General Oliver Otis Howard (1830-1909), a prominent officer during the Civil War. It is sometimes stated that the county was named after Howard Paul, son of an early settler.
Boelus – post office opened February 1, 1886. Named from the Belus river, in Palestine. Peak population was 289 in 1900.
Brooks – post office opened June 15, 1881 through March 19, 1886.
Cascade – post office opened October 30, 1879 through July 13, 1886. Likely named for a small waterfall on nearby creek.
Cotesfield – post office opened December 1, 1871. Named in honor of a Miss Coates who, visited in the vicinity with General Augur and his daughter, as guests of Captain Munson. Peak population in 1920 was 214.
Cushing – post office opened September 5, 1887 through 1968. Named for James Cushing, an early settler in the community. Peak population was 126 in 1930.
Dannebrog – post office opened March 5, 1872. Named in honor of the Danish flag by a Danish colony from Milwaukee, Wisconsin who made the first settlement here in May, 1871. Peak population in 1820 was 436.
Dannevirke – post office opened February 16, 1880 through December 21, 1902. Named for ancient wall built by Danes to stop German aggression.
Davis Creek – post office opened July 11, 1879 through October 5, 1879. Likely named for a local settler.
Elba – post office opened April 24, 1883. Named for a curve in the railroad line shaped like an elbow. Peak population in 1910 was 302.
Fardale – post office opened January 5, 1876 through September 27, 1880.
Farwell – post office name changed from Posen on December 9, 1889. Peak population 248 in 1930.
Funston – post office opened January 29, 1902 through October 8, 1906.
Gage Valley – post office opened July 11, 1871 through March 14, 1883. Named for early settler Alonzo Gage.
Glasgow – post office opened November 4, 1879 through June 23, 1886. Likely named for Glasgow, Scotland.
Grantville – post office opened May 13, 1875. Name changed to St Libory May 16, 1878. Likely named for President Ulysses S Grant.
Kelso – post office opened December 14, 1873 through April 14, 1894. Named for Kelso, Scotland.
Loup Fork – post office opened November 4, 1875 through March 20, 1886. Named for a fork on the Loup River.
Mound – post office opened October 2, 1882 through October 3, 1890.
Nysted – post office opened April 12, 1883 through September 30, 1918. Named for a town in Denmark, from which the majority of the residents had come. Peak population in 1890 was 65.
Polander – post office opened August 12, 1887 through December 4, 1891. Named for the local Polish settlers.
Posen – post office opened December 17, 1887, name changed to Farwell December 9, 1889.
Saint Libory – post office opened May 16, 1878, named for Saint Libory, Illinois, the home of many of the early settlers. Peak population in 1960 was 175.
Saint Paul – post office opened July 12, 1871. Named for first settlers J N and N J Paul. Peak population of 2,094 in 1980. St Paul has been the county seat since first formed.
Tynerville – post office opened June 30, 1879 through August 27, 1887.
Warsaw – post office opened September 14, 1873 through November 25, 1885. Named after Warsaw, Canada which was named after the Polish capital.
Wola – post office opened April 16, 1880 through June 6, 1883. Likely named for the former home of the settlers, Wola, Poland.
Bohemian National Graveyard
Canada Hill Methodist Episcopal Cemetery
Danish Lutheran Cemetery, aka Saint Anns Cemetery
Elmwood Cemetery, aka St Paul Cemetery
Fairdale Sunrise Cemetery
Haggart Family Plot
Larsen Homestead Cemetery
Loup Fork Cemetery, aka Dry Creek Cemetery
Mount Carmel Cemetery, aka Paplin Cemetery
North Logan Cemetery, aka St Peter Cemetery
Norwegian Cemetery, aka Kunsmore Maneghed, and Zion Lutheran Cemetery
Oak Ridge Cemetery
Rock Creek Cemetery
Saint Anthony Catholic Cemetery, aka Posen Cemetery
Saint Josephs Cemetery, aka Elba Catholic Cemetery
Saint Libory Catholic Cemetery
Saint Wenceslaus Cemetery
South Logan Cemetery
Spring Creek Cemetery, aka Crowe Cemetery
Swedish Pioneer Cemetery
Elba United Methodist Church - 14th & Pearl St, Elba, 308-754-4666
First Presbyterian Church – 816 Indian St, St Paul, 308-754-4258
River of Life Community Church – 603 Howard Ave, St Paul, 308-754-4100
406 Howard Ave
St Paul, NE 68873
Historic Howard County newspapers at Advantage Archives