Nebraska State Genealogical Society Logo
The Nebraska State Genealogical Society welcomes you.
2019 Conf
2019 Conf: Blaine Bettinger
2019 Conf
2019 Conf
2019 Conf
2019 Conf: Mitch Z, Early Neb. Life

Merrick County

HISTORY
Merrick County was formed in 1858 and organized in 1864. It was named for Elva Merrick, the maiden name of the wife of territorial legislator  Henry W. DePuy. The county was established and its boundaries defined by an act of the legislature approved November 4, 1858. The bill to establish Merrick county and to locate the county seat at Elvira was introduced by Representative Henry W De Puy, from Dodge county.
 
COURTHOUSE
1510 18th Street
Central City, NE 68826
308-946-2881
Hours: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
 
PLACE NAMES
Adamston – post office opened August 25, 1885 through May 11, 1886. Named for first postmaster, Charles Adams.
Amity – post office opened November 7, 1879 through July 13, 1888. Likely named for the German settlers who opened a Presbyterian Church they named Amity.
Archer – post office opened February 4, 1856 through July 11, 1885. Named for local pioneer Robert T. Archer. Post office established  discontinued  Peak population in 1860 was 25.
Bethel – post office opened July 23, 1879 through July 5, 1883. Name means “a hallowed spot or house of God.”
Brewer’s Ranch – post office opened August 8, 1864 through 1869. Named for Probate Judge James G Brewer.
Bryant’s Grove – post office opened September 4, 1879 through December 7, 1880. Named for first postmaster, Homer Bryant.
Burlingame – post office opened December 31, 1872 through June 22, 1888. Named for first postmaster, George M Burlingame.
Central City – April 26, 1875, citizens petitioned to change the name from “Lone Tree”. The name "Central City" was given the town because it is centrally located in the agricultural region of Nebraska. Peak population in 1980 was 3,063. Central City is the Merrick County seat.
Chapman – post office opened June 15, 1880. Name changed from Clarksville to honor a roadmaster of the Union Pacific railroad when the station was established. Peak population in 1970 was 371.
Clarks – post office opened June 15, 1880. Named in honor of Silas Henry H. Clark (1836-1900), who was for many years the active head of the Union Pacific railroad. Peak population was 605 in 1910.
Clarksville – post office opened February 26, 1869, named changed to Chapman.
Conrad – post office opened  May 3, 1881 through May 9, 1882. Named for Mrs Charles W Adams whose maiden name was Conrad.
Elkdale – post office opened June 23, 1874. Moved to Gage Valley, Howard County on July 14, 1874. Original name was Silver Glen.
Elvira – at one time the county seat of Merrick county. It was established at the same time that the county was established and was named in honor of Mrs Elvira Merrick De Puy. Platted on November 4, 1858, there was never a post office here.
Farmersville – post office opened August 18, 1875 through March 8, 1881.
Gardner Station – post office opened June 30, 1884. Moved across the county line into Platte County on July 31, 1884.  
Havens – post office opened June 24, 1919 through 1935. Likely named for Charles Best Havens, superintendent of railroad bridges.
Lester – post office opened February 19, 1878. Moved to Merrick on January 14, 1880.
Lockwood – post office opened November 17, 1874 through July 24, 1890. Peak population was 26 in 1890.
Lone Tree – post office opened June 10, 1867. Named in honor of Lone Tree Ranch and a lone cottonwood tree which was a landmark for travellers. Name changed to Central City.
Mentzer – post office opened November 26, 1879 through August 27, 1886.
Palmer – post office opened November 2, 1887. Likely named after an official of the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad. Peak population in 1930 was 587.
Prairie Creek – post office opened August 19, 1875 through March 8, 1880.
Shoemaker Point – post office opened December 29, 1863 through January 4, 1865. The first post office in the county, named for settler, Jesse Shoemaker.
Silver Creek – post office opened April 4, 1877.  Named for the nearby stream called Silver Creek. Peak population of 583 in 1920.
Silver Glen – post office January 17, 1865. Name changed to Elkdale.
Sunrise – post office opened June 18, 1899 through November 17, 1906.  Name is appropriate for a locality having a beautiful sunrise or an unobstructed view to the east.
Vick – post office opened May 14, 1883. Name changed to Palmer.
Worms – post office opened October 20, 1897 through December 5, 1901. Probably named for Worms, Rhein-Hessen, Germany.
CEMETERIES
Most are photographed and are on Findagrave and/or Billion Graves:
Archer Evangelical Community Cemetery
Bureau Cemetery, aka Pierce Chapel Cemetery
Burke Cemetery, aka Fairview Cemetery
Calvary Cemetery, aka Clarks Cemetery
Central City Cemetery
Chapman Cemetery
Fairview Cemetery, Silver Creek
German Methodist Cemetery
Goettsche-Tramm Burial Site
Laurel Cemetery
Prairie Creek Cemetery
Rose Hill Cemetery
Saint Lawrence Cemetery
Scherbarth Cemetery
Silver Creek Cemetery
Zion Lutheran Cemetery
 
CHURCHES
Archer Zion United Methodist – 1988 7th Rd, Archer,  308-946-3578  https://www.greatplainsumc.org/churchdetail/310680 
 
Baptist Church – 1001 N Prairie St, Chapman,  308-986-2237
 
Central City Baptist Church – 1119 17th St, Central City,  308-946-2475  https://centralcitybaptist.com/ 
 
Central City United Methodist – 2601 18th Ave, Central City,  308-946-2853  https://www.greatplainsumc.org/churchdetail/310729 
 
Christ Episcopal Church – 1414 15th Ave, Central City,  308-946-2640
 
Community Bible Church – 403 F Ave, Central City,  308-946-2114   https://centralcitycommunitybible.org/ 
 
Fairview United Methodist Church – 2398 S 220th Ave, Central City,  308-946-3578
 
First Christian Church – 407 A Ave, Central City,  308-946-2372
 
Grace Lutheran Church – 1920 16th Ave, Central City,  308-946-2064
 
Heartland Evangelical Free Church – 1620 19th St, Central City,  308-946-2595  http://heartlandefc.org/ 
 
Palmer United Methodist Church – 1012 Commercial St, Palmer,  308-894-3045  https://www.greatplainsumc.org/churchdetail/310934 
 
St John’s Lutheran Church – 502 Utica St, Palmer,  308-894-3545  http://www.stjohnspalmer.org/ 
 
St Michael’s Catholic Church – 2402 20th Ave, Central City,  308-946-2855
 
St Paul’s Lutheran Church – 820 G Ave, Central City,  308-946-2680
 
St Peter Catholic Church – 425 Amity St, Clarks,  308-536-2574 
 
United Methodist Church – 408 Green St, Clarks, 
 
United Presbyterian Church – 1801 17th Ave, Central City,  308-946-3108   http://www.ccpresbyterian.com/index.html
 
Wesleyan Church – Palmer,  308-894-8345 
 
Zion Lutheran Church – 1653 Worms Rd, St Libory,  308-687-6314  https://zionworms.org/ 
 
LIBRARIES
1. Central City Public Library
1604 15th Ave
Central City, NE  68826
308-946-2512
2. Clarks Public Library
3. Silver Creek Public Library
4. Palmer Public Library
 
FUNERAL HOMES
Solt-Wagner Funeral Home
1507 17th St
Central City, NE  68826
308-946-3095
 
Greenway-Dietz Funeral Home
802 Templin Ave
Palmer, NE  68864
308-894-3105
 
McKown Funeral Home
806 4th St
Silver Creek, NE  68663
402-564-4232
 
NEWSPAPERS
Central City Republican Non-Pareil
308-946-3081
 
 
SOCIETIES
Merrick County Historical Society
211 E St
Central City, NE  68826
308-946-2867
 
 
WEBSITES
 
 
Merrick County Nebraska Archives -  http://www.usgwarchives.net/ne/merrick/mertable.htm 
 
 
Merrick County Genealogy Trails - http://genealogytrails.com/neb/merrick/ 
 
 
Merrick County Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness - https://raogk.org/nebraska/merrick-county/ 
 
 
Merrick County Nebraska Cemeteries - https://nebraskacemeteries.org/index.php?/category/61